The hydraulic system deals with mechanical components of fluids with hydraulic properties. It works on the principle of the pressure created by hydraulic fluids when put under pressure and moved from one cylinder to another. This principle of hydraulic pressure is used in different vehicles and equipment.
The hydraulic system is based on a famous theory by Blaise Pascal. The theory states that the pressure produced by the liquid when enclosed has the potential of creating a force which is ten times the amount of pressure produced earlier.
The basic principle being that with the employment of hydraulics a great force can be generated with little pressure.
The Evolution of Hydraulics
After hydraulic lift kits have been invented, you can use the force generated by these kits to even make heavy objects like cars dance. These cars are also better known as low-riders.
The specific name given to the cars is for a special reason. These are customized cars that are made with very little ground clearance. The hydraulic equipment installed in these cars make them dance by using hydraulic pressure to lower and raise the cars simultaneously. The hopping achieved by these cars is because of the installation of hydraulic pumps ranging from 12 to 48 volts. This type of technology is also used in Hollywood movies like the Fast and the Furious series and even in low-riding contests.
Basic Working of the System
Hydraulic systems work on a very simple principle. Oil is used as the hydraulic fluid in this system. The hydraulic machine has installed cylinders numbering to two or more. These cylinders are connected to a pipe which contains the oil and pistons which are required for moving the fluids into the cylinders. Even modern car brakes have a hydraulic system.
Equipment which uses hydraulic force
• Hydraulic cylinders are cylinders wherein the oil or hydraulic liquid is pushed to generate the desired amount of force. These cylinders are part of the hydraulic equipment.
• Hydraulic pumps are used to transport the hydraulic fluids to other parts of hydraulic system based equipment.
• Hydraulic wrenches are used to work with nuts and bolts.
• Hydraulic lifts are used to lift heavy vehicles for servicing and repairing and also used in custom made low-rider cars.
• Hydraulic presses are used to compress using hydraulic pressure. Heavy items such as cars, metals, etc.
How it is Used to Lift Heavy Vehicles
One of the major uses of the hydraulic system is to be lifts for heavy duty vehicles. When servicing or repairing large vehicles, the vehicles need to be hoisted up for better positioning of mechanics and better access to the various parts of the vehicle.
The hydraulic lifts come in columns, which may be portable or fixed. They have installed cylinders into which the hydraulic fluids are passed by pistons to generate the force required to lift heavy vehicles. They can be raised to any height depending on the size of the lift. They have specific capacities and some lifts can create enough force to lift heavy duty trucks and goods carrier which weigh up to 18000 lbs.
Hydraulic systems work much more efficiently than other systems of lifting. It offers stability and better work position for mechanics. There are hydraulic lifts that come in separate columns and are portable and save a lot of space.
Hydraulic lifts are also used in garages and car parks to lift cars to the different floors with very little effort in a very safe way.
The pumps in hydraulic lifts are used to move the hydraulic oil to different parts of the machine. The pistons generate the required force by pushing the hydraulic liquid into the cylinders. It is based on a very simple theory of multiplication of force generated by pressurized heavy liquids that are used.
Advantages of using Hydraulic Lifts for heavy vehicles
• It requires little effort and can lift really heavy vehicles.
• It saves a lot of space because it is compact and comes in portable designs.
• It provides better access to the inaccessible parts of the vehicle, which provides more efficient servicing and repairing.
• It increases the efficiency of labor and reduces stress and injury to mechanics.